Wednesday, October 1, 2008

He is just the data guy – what the …. does he know!

This is a true story. I don’t think that this particular opinion about those “data guys” so eloquently articulated by this particular person represents a majority opinion and as such I should probably simply ignore it but it stung pretty badly so I couldn’t put it to rest without expressing my disappointment in writing.

Here is the story. I was consulting for this marketing company who was working on a project for a big customer. An experienced data guy, let’s call him Frank (not the real name), on the customer’s side had provided the data for the project as well as some important pointers on what he thought we should be focusing on. Well during one of the meetings at this marketing company’s site when the discussion was going on a direction that completely ignored Frank’s suggestions I reminded them of what Frank had said. The person in charge, forgetting for a moment that I am a “data guy” by trade as well, said “Frank is just a data guy, what the …. does he know!”. As the last words were coming out of his mouth he realized the mistake but it was too late.

This marketing company has a small IT department which is “coincidentally” made up of “data guys” and I had seen this person tell those data guys how important they were to the company and how much their hard work was appreciated and blah, blah, blah… I was just glad those guys were not in the room at that moment.

As for me personally, I don’t hold any animosity towards this person with a marketing degree who for whatever reason (other than the fact that this guy makes twice as much as those data guys) thinks that he is smarter and better than those “data guys” who have computer and math degrees. I simply doubled my rate for this client and I am sure that in the next assignment (if it ever comes) I will be twice as smart J

There, now I can forget about this!

No comments: